Permanent Resident Card

Extending a permanent resident card for a further five years can be a complex undertaking. Our office has experience with highly complicated P.R. card renewal cases, bringing our clients a level of expertise that is unmatched in the industry.

P.R Card

P.R. card renewals on exceptional or H&C grounds

A permanent resident who has not met the residency requirement can renew their PR card on humanitarian grounds if some exceptional circumstance has prevented them from residing in Canada. A renewal may also be made if the permanent resident has been working for a Canadian company abroad or has been accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad.
In the scenario where a permanent resident needs to renew their P.R. card but has not met the residency requirement, and does not fall into one of the exception categories, the application to renew the card can be made on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds, by explaining the extenuating circumstances why the permanent resident was not able to meet the residence requirement.

If the immigration authorities are satisfied that there are sufficient Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds to justify renewing the P. R. card, they can renew it even though the permanent resident has not met the residency requirement.

Regular P.R. card renewals

Those permanent residents who have met the residency requirement of being in Canada for at least 2 in the past 5 years can renew their permanent resident card on this basis.
To have your PR card renewed, you must meet the minimum residency obligations. To maintain your permanent residence, you must reside in Canada for at least 2 years in a five-year period.

If you have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years, you must show that you have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days (2 years) within the past 5 years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years, you must show that you will be physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within 5 years from the date you become a permanent resident.

You may be able to count days spent outside of Canada as part of the 730 days required to meet the residency obligation. For instance, if you accompany a Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada, you may also count those days.

Another common situation is when you work for a Canadian company outside of Canada. You can count each day you worked outside Canada as long as certain requirements are met. We’ll look at these two common situations below.

Travel Document Applications

Permanent residents who are outside of Canada and whose PR card has expired can apply for a travel document in order to return to Canada.
Where a permanent resident has remained outside Canada and their permanent resident card has expired, they may apply for a travel document to allow them to re-enter Canada.

The permanent resident will be required to describe their travel history. If the applicant has not been able to meet the residence requirement, and does not fall into one of the exception categories, they can apply to keep their permanent residence and return to Canada on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Once inside Canada the permanent resident can then apply to renew their P.R. card.

Residency Appeals

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their foreign national child for permanent residence in Canada.
If a permanent resident applies to have their permanent resident card extended and this application is refused, they may appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board within 60 days. Similarly, those who apply for a Travel Document and are found to have lost their residence may also appeal within 60 days.

The Appeal Division will hold a hearing to decide if the decision to take away the appellant’s permanent residence should be allowed to stand, or if it should be overturned. The Appeal Division may consider both the legal basis for the appeal and the Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds related to the appeal.

The appeal will be held in Canada and the appellant can provide new evidence in support of their case and can testify before a judge. Where the appellant is outside Canada such testimony may be done by teleconference. If the Immigration Appeal Division decides to grant the appeal then the appellant will be permitted to retain their permanent residence and can obtain a new P.R. card. If the Immigration Appeal Division denies the appeal a further appeal to the Federal Court may be made.

Travel documents to Canada can be obtained by those appealing the revocation of their permanent resident status where they have been in Canada at least once within the last year, or where the Immigration Appeal Division determines that their presence in Canada is necessary for their appeal.

Please contact us if you require our assistance or further information.

Our Canadian Services

Shimen Fallah is a well-respected and reliable professional who specializes in delivering exceptional Canadian citizenship services. With extensive experience and a team of highly skilled immigration experts, Shimen Fallah guides individuals through the intricate process of obtaining Canadian citizenship. Whether you are a permanent resident looking to take the next step or an aspiring newcomer, Shimen Fallah offers comprehensive support to help you navigate the complex immigration requirements, ensuring a smooth and successful application process. Their commitment to excellence and dedication to client satisfaction make Shimen Fallah a top choice for those seeking Canadian citizenship, turning dreams of a new life in Canada into a reality.

Discover Frequently Asked Questions from Our Support

Generally speaking, as an individual applicant, you would need approximately $15,500 CAD to immigrate to Canada. Couples would need around $21,000 CAD while families with children will require between $25,000 to $30,000 CAD.
For settlement funds, if you select a dollar amount inferior to the required funds, you be automatically found ineligible. However, if you are already in Canada under a temporary work permit, or if you have a valid job offer, you do not need to have the required minimum funds.
Information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) shows that they reject around 30% of study visa applications. Even if you get your student visa, there are rules you still need to follow to maintain your status as an international student.

Eligible sponsors must: be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. be at least 18 years old. live in Canada, or plan to return to Canada once your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident of Canada.

Feel Free To Contact Us

Email Address

Phone Number

+1 (647) 575-3845

Head Office

600-890 W Pender Street, Vancouver,
BC V6C 1J8 Canada